Enviropacific was engaged in 2021 to complete demolition and remediation works at the former Sydney Water Central Workshops Site located on Bourke Street, Waterloo NSW.
The Site required remediation to address contaminant impacts arising from legacy operations and the demolition of all pavements across the Site. This was to facilitate additional assessment to confirm a future residential end land use.
All works associated with the demolition and remediation were supervised and delivered under Enviropacific’s SafeWork Demolition and Asbestos removal licenses.
The Site presented unique challenges in completing the works including:
- The retention of heritage structures;
- Highly trafficked adjacent streets;
- Hydrogeological limitations associated with a significant chlorinated solvent plume on an adjacent property;
- The management of hazardous materials in a mixed-use (including significant residential) setting;
- Significant “live” Sydney water underground assets which transected the Site.
The works were completed ahead of the target completion date and under budget.
- Establishment of all Safety, Health and Environmental controls including air and vibration monitoring;
- Liaison with all stakeholders throughout the project lifecycle including but not limited to the client, third party superintendent, local community, environmental consultant, NSW EPA accredited Site auditor, City of Sydney Council, Water NSW and Sydney Water Corporation;
- Removal of all asbestos mastic joints in pavements across the Site prior to demolition;
- Salvage of heritage items for beneficial reuse by City of Sydney Council;
- Demolition of all on-site pavements;
- Targeted remedial excavations associated with lead, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, and asbestos;
- Installation of a sheet pile wall to facilitate a bulk remedial excavation to address PCB impacts in soil;
- Installation of an Enviropacific dewatering system;
- Supply, operate and maintain a water treatment plant to address PCB and chlorinated solvent impacts in groundwater;
- Ongoing air and vibration monitoring throughout the project lifecycle;
- Reinstatement of remedial excavations;
- Make safe works prior to demobilisation.