Growing threats to the environment and increased public awareness of the same is driving demand for more effective solutions to help prevent, stop and in some cases reverse environmental damage. Nowhere are we, at Enviropacific, seeing this more so than in the demand for our water treatment services.
Water shortages are being felt across Australia, with much of the country in drought and dam levels continuing to fall. The shortages are a stark reminder that water is a finite resource. To make matters worse, pollution of our water courses and water ways is becoming a significant problem. Concerns about PFAS (perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances) otherwise known as the “forever chemicals” – that have been around since the 1940s with properties that resist heat, grease, stains and water – are growing. Today they are considered toxic and have been linked to cancer, liver damage, thyroid disease and developmental issues. Humans get exposed to PFAS by ingesting contaminated food and/or water.
The public and consequently governments are responding by tightening regulations and imposing tougher penalties on those who pollute. It means that business of all shapes and sizes need to be more responsible about the impact of their activities on the environment. As a result, we have seen the water treatment market expand. We now cater to:
- Mining dam dewatering, treatment and treated water discharge to the environment to meet stringent discharge criteria- mobile plants, packaged containerized system can be mobile within short notice.
- Land fill Leachate treatment – both permanent plant and temporary plant
- Infrastructure Projects – temporary and permanent water treatment plants (design, Construction, operation and maintenance) for various tunnel, roads and building construction sites. As an example, successfully design, built and maintained five water treatment plants for NorthConnex Connex project.
- Contaminated sites ground water remediation – pump and treat type system (design, Construction, operation and maintenance). As an example, successfully design, built and maintained four water treatment plants for Barangaroo Remediation Project.
- PFAS contaminated ground water and surface water treatment to meet the stringent discharge criteria Setout by various regulatory authorities. Typical clients in this market sectors are Airports, Defence, Fire Training Facilities etc.
- Drinking water treatment – mobile plants, packaged containerized system can be mobile within short notice for various water authorities (e.g. Sydney water).
One of the biggest changes we’ve seen is in the demand for our new mobile water treatment systems that are able to treat various contaminate in the groundwater including PFAS compounds. They can be set up within a matter of days, they are compact and modular so can be adapted to almost any situation. The introduction of these units is part of our commitment and determination to do more to address the growing water contamination problem and create safer and healthier communities.
We now have more than 30 people nationally working in our Water Treatment business including project managers; chemical, environmental, mechanical and civil engineers; and operators from various trade backgrounds. In the words of our Head of Water, Sagar Adhikari, “no matter the problem, we can come up with the optimum solution for our clients – we take pride in being the market leader and a one-stop shop in solid and liquid waste management.”